What is Mobile-Friendly Web Design? 5 Key Benefits Explained!Orhun Karadag
If you own a business, mobile-friendly web design is an incredibly valuable concept that you should be aware of. Did you know that 85% of adults think that a company’s website, when viewed on a mobile device should be as good or better than its desktop website? Furthermore, 50% of people say that even if they like a business, they will use their products or services less if the website isn’t mobile-friendly.
Regardless of what area of business you are involved in, mobile-friendly web design is a concept that you need to understand and a strategy that you need to implement to maintain the quality of your online presence. It continues to rise in prominence and change as time goes on.
We’re going to give you the information that you need to know about mobile-friendly website design and explain some of the key benefits.
What is Mobile-Friendly Web Design?
If you are not familiar with the concept of mobile-friendly web design or have never had to deal with making websites that are friendly to mobile devices, then understanding the concept is the first step to being able to implement mobile-friendly design for your business.
Mobile-friendly design refers to designing a web page or web application that can easily be accessed and viewed on a mobile device. With mobile devices becoming one of the most common ways that people browse the web, it’s crucially important to be able to provide those users a good experience to increase conversion and make the information on your website easy to access as well. Here are the 8 features of a great mobile-friendly website:
- Responsive web design approach makes it possible for the website respond to the user’s behavior and device. Responsive websites are compatible with all screen resolutions. Responsive web design creates a great user experience while costing less as it is not necessary to design two separate websites (one for mobile and one for desktop).
- Any text on the website must be easily readable for the convenience of the users. It is vital for maintaining the professional look across a variety of devices and conveying desired messages to potential customers.
- High-quality and optimized images that don’t need zooming or scrolling. Correctly selected, high-quality images make a good impression on the target audience.
- Simple, yet stylish background. Simple backgrounds are key to put the content and high-quality images forward.
- Correct color palette choice. The use of proper color palette throughout the website has the ability to create a positive impact on the visitors. Therefore increases the conversions.
- Clear and adequately spaced call-to-actions. CTAs push visitors to become real customers or clients.
- Simple forms. Forms on a mobile-friendly website need to be short and ask only the necessary information. Clear and simple forms are important for high conversion rates.
- Straightforward icon layout for convenient navigation through the mobile site. This will help visitors to move through your website easily and efficiently.
Mobile-friendly design is becoming a specialty on its own and continues to rise in importance as mobile devices increase in popularity and become the dominant way to surf the web.
If you own a business website, you should most definitely be implementing a mobile web design strategy. Data has proven that mobile web design increases engagement with your visitors and provides a much better user experience, which is a huge benefit for your business.
5 Key Benefits of Mobile-Friendly Web Design
Here are some of the most important reasons for having a mobile-friendly website.
1) The Popularity of Mobile Devices
One of the main benefits of having a strategy to deal with the mobile-friendly web design is the very fact that mobile devices are used now more than ever. With the rise in popularity of mobile devices, mostly cellphones and tablets, the need has also risen for websites that can be used easily and effectively from a mobile device. If you want your business website to remain relevant, then keeping up with user tendencies is extremely important and providing your website visitors with a useful page that they can navigate easily from their mobile devices’ browsers is absolutely essential. Unless you want to be left in the dust when it comes to your particular business or niche, then a mobile-friendly website is a must.
2) Mobile Traffic is at All-Time High
In parallel with the rising popularity of mobile devices, the majority of website traffic these days is coming from mobile devices instead of personal computers. To accommodate the fact that most web traffic now comes from mobile devices, it’s important that you prioritize the mobile-friendliness of your website and ensure that the traffic you get is not wasted. Make sure that your website has easy-to-access information and a navigation system that is easy to use.
3) Unique User Behavior
You might think that it’s enough to just scale down the size of your website to fit a mobile screen but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Google says 61% of users are unlikely to return to a mobile site if they had trouble to access and navigate. Creating a mobile-friendly design that is specifically designed for mobile devices is important because it has been proven that mobile users often behave differently than those who are using a computer. As such, they are going to find different ways around your website, click different things, and have different needs when it comes to the display of text and images. To accommodate that and ensure that mobile users are able to navigate your website effectively, it is necessary to use a unique web layout and design.
4) More Conversions, More Purchases
In addition to there being more mobile users than ever before, there also happens to be more mobile buyers than ever before. It has been shown that mobile internet users are completing purchases at a higher rate than those who access a website or online shop with a more traditional device. This is because when they access a website with a mobile device, they are usually directed there by social media or another platform that is very engaging and keeps buyers interested while providing them with value. If you want to capitalize on this huge segment of the population, then you need a website that is mobile friendly and designed to work on a variety of mobile devices.
Google is rolled out mobile-first indexing in 2018. This means Google uses the mobile version of your site in its index now, whereas it used to index the desktop version of your site first. This switch is made because searches come from mobile devices increasingly. With the emergence of mobile devices and considering how important they are to the global consumer market, Google is placing importance on having a website compliant with widely accepted best practices when it comes to the mobile-friendly website design. You can achieve better rankings in the search results if your website is optimized for mobile access and proves to be an asset to the users.
If you do not prioritize mobile web design and responsiveness, you are going to find it difficult to achieve good conversion and retention rates. If you haven’t already, you can get a mobile-friendly website for ensuring the success of your business. You can contact us for discussing how we can help you.